One Friday, NBBJ Design reached out to see if I was available for a project the following Wed. I was, and they said, “Great! You’re hired.” The project turned out to be a new hospital wing at the Perelman School of Medicine.
Later that day, the project architect sent me plans/renderings to review, and we spoke briefly about the design. It was a nice project, especially considering the location. Overall, we decided to focus most of our attention on three main areas, the examination corridor, Gamma Knife imaging center and a main waiting area.
When we arrived Wed., there were unfortunately a few last minute delays, and the project was not yet photo ready. So we rescheduled for Sunday, the day before the opening, and used our time on Wed. to frame each image and discuss how it would look. When I returned four days later, I knew exactly how I was going to produce each image.
The first image was the main examination corridor in which I wanted a soft sunlight feel. To do this, I lowered the shades in bay 5 and 9, and bounced a strobe off the wall/ceiling. In bay 7, I bounced a strobe off of a checked gold/silver lamé, adding color and breaking up the corridor. For some fill, at the left end of the corridor, I hung a silver/white lamé bouncing slightly cooler light into the image. Last, for an interior light feel, I placed a 750w Tota-light in both bay 6 and 8.
Next came the Gamma Knife center, an important aspect for NBBJ, which we decided to shoot from the control room. To pull the viewer into the image, I lit the center of the machine with a small soft box. Next, I placed a strip box in the hallway pointing in, shaping the machine and creating a nice highlight on the doorframe. For fill, I placed a large sofbox in the imaging room and hung the lamés in the hallway to bounce light off of. Last, I killed the lights in the control room to cancel out reflections and add more depth to the image.
Thereafter, we headed to the main waiting room, which only required simple lighting. To pull your eye in, I lit the far door with a small stripbox, simulating window light, and added some fill with two ceiling bounces. To break up the room a bit, I fired a large gridded softbox right of camera into room. Last, to add a little more fill, I hung the silver/white lamé center wall within the room.
These covered the bulk of our day, although we did capture a few more documentary images, but they are for another post. And, in case you are interested in some behind the scenes action, here is short video we produced of the shoot.